ICTP's Mathematics section is seeking candidates for a Senior Research Scientist position.
Under the supervision of the Head of Section, the incumbent will lead the sub-group of research scientists and performs and coordinates front-line research in Algebraic Geometry, and may provide leadership to one of the ICTP programmes as necessary.
In particular, the incumbant will be required to:
- Identify, develop and implement innovative research projects, ensuring that the research team stays on top of the latest scientific developments.
- Collaborate with leading research institutions worldwide to exchange scientific information and promote joint research and scientific collaboration programmes, while providing guidance and mentoring to junior members of the Mathematics Section working in Algebraic Geometry, as well as to post-doctoral fellows, associates and visitors.
- Participate in the selection of the Diploma, M.Sc. and Ph.D. students, teach in the Diploma programme and supervise Diploma and possibly PhD students' thesis.
- Establish wide cooperation with scientists from developing countries, also organising ICTP meetings and external activities in own field of research at ICTP and in developing countries.
- Provide authoritative advice to the Division Director on programme planning and implementation, also ensuring that all high level needs, such as agreements, funding, selection procedures and coordination of the scientific work with the scientific faculty, needed for the proper running and success of these programmes are in place and functioning.
The salary is at the UNESCO P-4 level. UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, and pension plan.
The application deadline has been extended to 30 July 2021.
For more details and to apply online, please go to https://www.ictp.it/about-ictp/personnel-office/employment.aspx