ICTP and the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development have launched a support programme for advancing the capabilities of Arab researchers and students in science and technology.
The programme benefits Arab scientists residing in their home countries or other Arab Fund countries who want to participate in a range of ICTP training and education programmes. The ICTP-Arab Fund Programme will support participation of Arab scientists in the following ICTP activities:
- Physics Without Frontiers (PWF): Funds will support four training workshops in Arab Fund countries, with the goal to attract students and scientists from groups less represented in science: women and girls, those from poorer economic backgrounds, studying in low resource settings or universities without Master's or PhD programmes. ICTP's PWF programme works to motivate, train, and mentor physics and mathematics university students worldwide, to help build the next generation of scientists. Contact: email@example.com
- Associates Programme: Up to 10 new Associate fellowships will be supported by the Arab Fund, allowing scientists with research or faculty positions in their home countries, at all stages of their careers, to visit ICTP for up to 3 visits over a 3-year period. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sandwich Training Educational Programme (STEP): STEP fellowships supported by the Arab Fund would allow PhD students to visit ICTP for visits of 3 months in 2024, 3 months in 2025, and 5 months in 2026. . Fellows work on their PhD theses with their advisors at their home institutes and co-advisors at the hosting institutes. Their PhD is awarded at their home institutes. Contact: email@example.com
- Joint ICTP-Arab Fund International Schools and Workshops in the Arab region: the agreement supports the organisation of 4 joint ICTP-Arab Fund advanced workshops and international schools, to take place in Arab Fund member states for a minimum duration of a 2-week period each.
- ICTP Conferences: The ICTP-Arab Fund Programme will offer a number of grants to applicants from the Arab world to attend ICTP conferences. The full list of conferences, schools and workshops is available by viewing ICTP's Scientific Calendar.
Arab Fund countries include: Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.