Sightseeing in Trieste

Sites not to be missed while you are here

Miramare Castle

The Castle was built from 1856 to 1860 to a design by the famous architect Carl Junker on the orders of Archduke Maximilian, brother of Austrian Emperor Franz Josef. The castle gardens provide a setting of outstanding beauty with a variety of trees, chosen by Maximilian, that  make a remarkable collection.  Some features of particular attraction in the gardens include two ponds, one noted for its swans and the other for its lotus flowers, the Castle annexe ("Casteletto"), a nearby bronze statue of Maximilian, and a small chapel with a cross made from the remains of the "Novara", the flagship on which Maximilian set sail to become Emperor of Mexico.

More details are available on the official Miramare Castle Website.

The Natural Reserve of Miramare, WWF, is located in a building inside the Miramare park More details are available on the website.

San Giusto Castle

The castle was designed on the remains of previous castles on the site and took almost two centuries to build. The stages of the development of the Castle's defensive structures are marked by the central part built under Frederik III (1470), the round Venetian bastion (1508), the Hoyos-Lalio bastion and the Pomis, or "Bastione Fiorito" dated 1630. The Castle and its museum are  open to the public on a daily basis and are regularly used for exhibitions, events and in the summer period for open-air shows. A walk on the Castle ramparts and bastions gives a complete panorama of the city of 'Trieste, its hills and the sea.

Duino Castle

The castle is located on  high cliffs overlooking the Sistiana Bay north of Trieste and built on the ruins of a Roman fortress. It remains the official residence of the Torre e Tasso family.  The castle overlooks a small fishing village and is surrounded by extensive gardens. The castle showcases furnishings, pictures, and books collected over centuries; visitors can also go to the beautiful park and visit a World War 2 bunker. Concerts, operettas and plays are organized in the castle's gardens in the summer time.

Important Churches

  • The Cathedral of San Giusto, outside the castle walls, was built in the 14th century.
  • The Serb-Orthodox Temple of Holy Trinity and St Spirido (1869). The building adopts the Greek-Cross plan with five cupolas in the Byzantine tradition.
  • Basilica of San Silvestro (11th century).
  • Church of Santa Maria Maggiore (1682 ).
  • Church of San Nicolò dei Greci (1787). This church by the architect Matteo Pertsch (1818), with bell-towers on both sides of the facade, follows the Austrian baroque style.
  • Israelite Temple of Trieste (1912 ).
  • Archeological remains
  • Arch of Riccardo (33 BC). It is an Augustan gate built in the Roman walls in 33. It stands in Piazzetta Barbacan, in the narrow streets of the old town. It is called the Arco di Riccardo (Richard's Arch) because it is believed to have been crossed by King Richard of England during  his return journey from the Crusades.
  • Basilica Forense (2nd century).
  • Palaeochristian basilica.

Roman Theatre

Trieste or Tergeste, which probably dates back to the protohistoric period, was enclosed by walls built in 33-32 BC upon Emperor Octavius's orders. The city developed greatly during the 1st and 2nd centuries. The Roman theatre lies at the foot of the San Giusto hill, and faces the sea. The construction partially exploits the gentle slope of the hill, and most of the construction work is in stone. The topmost portion of the amphitheater steps and the stage were presumably made of wood. The statues that adorned the theatre (which was brought to light in the 30s) are now preserved in the Town Museum. Three inscriptions from the Trajan period mention a certain Q. Petronius Modestus, a person who was closely connected with the development of the theatre, built during the second half of the 1st century.

Archeological remains

  • Arch of Riccardo (33 BC). It is an Augustan gate built in the Roman walls in 33. It stands in Piazzetta Barbacan, in the narrow streets of the old town. It is called the Arco di Riccardo (Richard's Arch) because it is believed to have been crossed by King Richard of England during  his return journey from the Crusades.
  • Basilica Forense (2nd century).
  • Palaeochristian basilica.

Caves

The Trieste plateau (Altopiano Triestino), called Kras or the  Carso covers an area of roughly 200km2 within Italy  and has approximately 1500 caves of various sizes ( 67 are more than 99 m. deep). Among the most famous are the Grotta Gigante, the largest tourist cave in the world, with a single cavity large enough to contain St Peter's in Rome, and the Trebiciano Cave (350 m deep) at the bottom of which flows the Timavo River. This river dives underground at Skocjan caves in Slovenia (which are on the UNESCO Natural Heritage list) and flows about 30 km before emerging about 1km from the sea, in a series of springs near Duino, reputed by the Romans to be an entrance to Hades.

Second World War Monuments

The Risiera di San Sabba is  a national monument and  a testimonial of the only Nazi extermination camp in Italy.

The Foibe ia also a national monument (Foiba di Basovizza) and  a testimonial of the extermination of Italians and "resistants"  thrown alive in deep canyons called "foibe" by the communist troops  occupying the city ( mainly Yugoslavs) in the aftermaths of the war.

Trieste's  Lighthouse

Trieste's lighthouse, Faro della Vittoria, that can be spotted from Barcola was inaugurated in 1927 by King Vittorio Emanuele III. It is dedicated to the sailors who perished in WW1. The lighthouse affords a wonderful view of the city from the top. Bus 42 or 44 from Piazza Oberdan stops by the lighthouse.

Back to About Trieste

Please note, ICTP is not  in any way responsible for the content of any externally linked website or webpage.

CheckRedirectPage

http://library.ictp.it/ejds.aspx